Yesterday I had a great oppurtunity to go to chuch with the Manly Ward, here in Manly, Australia. We had to take a cab (now i can cross that off of the things I want to do before I die ;)) to get there because we don't have a car and it is WAY beyond walking distance. I was surprised when we walked in the chapel how small it was. It was about 8 pews deep and a row of chairs in the back. The bishop was a welcoming man and the ward was welcoming as well. Introducing themselves, asking about our family, etc. I was surprised by the reverence and the lack of youth in the ward.
The best part of the whole meeting was the opening song. We sang "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" I was shocked by the boisterious sound that filled the tiny chapel. I have never heard a congragation of that size sing as loud as these brothers and sisters did; they are by far louder than my home ward. I was blown away, and overcome with the spirit. I even choked up a little towards the end of the song and I know that they know, that their Redeemer lives. What great power comes through music. As D&C 25:12 says, "a song of the righteous is a prayer unto me." I have no doubt that the Lord was listening and the angels in heaven were singing along. It was an amazing experience. This is easily my new favorite hymn, and probably will be for the rest of my life, thanks to my Aussie brothers and sisters.
What a fantastic experience! I'm glad you are writing about your time there. When you get to be my age and your brilliant memory fades you will be glad you had a record of these once in a lifetime experiences!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds so amazing! I think that it really is a great testimony builder to see people who live somewhere totally different from us believing the exact same things that we do. Thanks for sharing that cool experience!
ReplyDeleteoh cute! i love going to church in different countries. so cool. ps, i love you. and i can't wait for you to come home. :)
ReplyDelete:) I'm in english right now and Mrs. Harline is letting us write to you :) we miss you in class...me especially :) I hope you're having a great time!
ReplyDelete